Chicken & Black Bean Fajita Salad
Who says salads can’t be a great choice for a winter meal? This heartwarming salad is just what is need on those cooler days!
Atop a plate of cool Romaine lettuce is a delicious hot and spicy twist on an old favorite; Fajitas! This salad is packed with flavor, color, and nutrients. The chicken is marinated in lime juice, olive oil and spices. Add sautéed onions and bell peppers, Slow Cooker Black Beans, avocado, sour cream and a wonderful lime dressing and you have a complete meal for lunch or a lite dinner. Make extra for leftovers the next day. You won’t regret it! I think it’s even better the next day!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
- For Dressing:
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Cilantro
- 2 cloves minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- For Chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless Organic Chicken Thighs
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- For the Salad:
- 3-4 bunches of Romaine lettuce
- 1 large sweet Onion, cut into rings
- 1 Large yellow Bell Pepper & 1 Large green Bell pepper (can use red or orange peppers in place of green)
- 1 Avocado, divided into quarters
- 1-14 oz can of low sodium Black beans or homemade black beans (see link above)
- 4 Tablespoons Sour Cream
- Hot peppers, diced for topping (optional)
- For the Dressing, whisk together all ingredients. Use approximately 1/4 of the mixture to coat the chicken thighs. Heat an iron skillet to medium high heat and cook chicken on one side until golden brown. Turn and cook the second side until golden brown. Reduce heat to medium and cook chicken through until done. Remove from the skillet and place on a cutting board to rest.
- Meanwhile, core and seed the peppers. Slice the peppers into thin slices. Peel and cut the onion into thin rings. Add both the peppers and the onion to the medium hot skillet. Continue to cook until tender, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the romaine lettuce into strips and place on 4 salad plates. Divide equally among the 4 plates, the avocado, black beans, sour cream, hot peppers, and the remaining dressing.
- When the peppers & onions and chicken have cooled, slice the chicken into bite size pieces and add to the plate. Add the peppers and onions; divided equally among the four plates.