Classic Caesar Salad
At first glance, this may look like your typical Caesar Salad. However, lots of love went into making this simple Classic favorite. I grew the Romaine in my organic backyard garden. The croutons are home-made. The Parmesan is shaved, not grated. The homemade Caesar dressing is lovingly blended to the perfect consistency. Why do I like going the extra mile? The answer is simple. I love the taste that comes from creating simple, and flavorful dishes.
This salad took all of 15 minutes to assemble (with the exception of growing and washing the Romaine). It is so worth the extra steps. You will appreciate the difference in taste, texture, and flavor when you take a few minutes to assemble Crisp romaine, Whole-Grain Garlic Parmesan Croutons, and grated Parmesan tossed with traditional Caesar dressing. This salad would be a great accompaniment to any dish. You can also add chicken for a complete meal.
Eat This With That
Prep Time: 15 mins
Yields: 6 Servings
- 6 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more
- ¾ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 romaine hearts, leaves separated
- Whole Grain Garlic Parmesan Croutons (see link above)
- Parmesan, for serving
- Chop together anchovy fillets, garlic, and pinch of salt. Use the side of a knife blade to mash into a paste, then scrape into a medium bowl.
- Whisk in egg yolks, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, and mustard. Adding drop by drop to start, gradually whisk in olive oil; whisk until dressing is thick and glossy.
- Whisk in Parmesan. Season with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired.
- Use your hands to gently toss the lettuce, croutons, and dressing, then top off with the shaved Parm.