Coconut Sweet Potato Rounds
Sweet, sweet potatoes
It’s no surprise that sweet potatoes are at the top of nearly everyone’s healthiest foods list. One baked, medium-sized sweet potato contains 438% of your daily value of vitamin A (a white potato contains 1%), 37% of your vitamin C, and some calcium, potassium, and iron too. All this at just 105 calories!
What’s more, they also deliver 4 grams of dietary fiber—16% of the daily value—and absolutely zip in terms of fat.
With that being said here are five benefits of eating sweet potatoes:
- They are good for your eyes because they contain beta carotene
- They are good for your heart because they contain magnesium
- They may help to reduce stress because they are a complex carb
- They may help you to lose weight because they are full of fiber
- They give you energy because they are rich in iron.
Eat This With That
I serve this dish often with salmon. One recipe is Simple Wild Caught Salmon. However, there are many dishes that pair well with these sweet potatoes. Greek Pork Tenderloin with Fennel & Romaine Salad, as well as Chicken Burgers with Broccoli Rabe & Sun Dried Tomatoes are great choices.
- I large Organic Sweet Potato
- 1 Tablespoons Organic Coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon Local Honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Scrub and cut away any blemishes on the sweet potato. Leave as much hull in place as possible. Cut the sweet into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Add the coconut oil to a nonstick or cast-iron skillet and heat to almost smoking. Carefully place the sweet potato rounds in a single layer. If using a smaller skillet, you will need to cook in two batches and reserve 1/2 of the coconut oil for the second batch.
- Drizzle small amount of honey on each of the sweet potato rounds. Fry the rounds approximately 2 minutes on one side and turn when golden brown to the other side. Continue to cook until golden brown on the second side. Sweet potatoes should be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.