Creamy Broccoli Slaw
Everyone loves coleslaw, but I love this new and easy take on an old favorite. This recipe can be quickly tossed together and will quickly become one of your go-to side dishes. This recipe is simple to make and adds a lot of flavor to any meal.
Most people throw away broccoli stems, preferring to eat the florets. But cut into long thin strips with a fine julienne peeler or box grater, the sweet and crunchy stems are perfect in a fresh-tasting slaw with carrots, onions and a bit of red cabbage. It is delicious!
This broccoli slaw recipe can also be made with cabbage which I often make as a side. This Garden Coleslaw is also a side dish with most main course meals.
The alternative to cutting fresh broccoli stems is to use a prepared broccoli slaw from the salad section of your grocery store as your base and then add a bit of onion and mix it all together with this beautiful and healthy Homemade Olive Oil Mayo. If you aren’t a mayo person, you can absolutely substitute greek yogurt for the mayo in this recipe. From start to finish, this slaw can be made in less than 10 minutes.
Eat This With That
I served this creamy broccoli slaw the other evening with a baked chicken dish. The crunch from the slaw went perfectly with these Spicy Drum Sticks.
It is definitely one of my favorite go-to recipes.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Yields: 8 Servings
- 1 large package broccoli coleslaw mix or 4-5 broccoli stalks
- 2-3 carrots, grated
- ¾ cup Homemade Olive Oil Mayo
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBSP honey (optional)
- ½ tsp each salt, pepper, parsley, and celery seed
- Peel and then shred broccoli and carrots with a box grater if not already done.
- Combine the shredded broccoli stems and carrots in a large bowl.
- Whisk in the mayo, vinegar, honey, and spices together until creamy.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator at least 1 hour or overnight before serving to let flavors meld.