Creamy Herbed Chicken Salad
Sometimes it is worth going the extra mile to make a dish and this is one of those dishes. There is something to be said for starting with fresh beautiful ingredients. I poached organic chicken breast, which developed a wonderful rich broth which I froze for later use.
I used my Omega-3 rich Homemade Olive Oil Mayo for a delightful creaminess. To that I added fresh grown herbs and green onions, and fresh squeezed lemon juice, making this dish amazingly creamy and fresh.
This Chicken Salad is loaded with great omega-3’s from the Homemade Olive Oil Mayo. As well, organic chicken has many health benefits.
Eat This With That
Lighten It Up
You can use less mayo and still this dish would be creamy and delicious. Using chicken breast without skin and bone could also lighten this dish up a bit.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Yields: 6 Servings
- POACHED CHICKEN FOR SALAD
- 10 sprigs parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 small onion, halved
- 1 small carrot, halved
- 1 stalk celery, halved
- 3 pounds chicken breasts halves, on the bone and fat trimmed
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- THE SALAD
- 4 cups diced poached chicken
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 cup homemade mayonnaise (See Recipe link above)
- 2 teaspoons strained freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoons sea salt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Put the parsley, thyme, onion, carrot, celery, and chicken breasts in a medium saucepan. Cover with the broth, and bring just to a boil. Lower the heat to very low and cover. Poach the chicken for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch. Remove the pan from the heat, uncover, cool the chicken in the liquid for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, In a mixing bowl, toss together the, celery, scallions and herbs. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and reserve the liquid. Bone and skin the chicken and cut the meat into 1 inch cubes. Discard the bones and skin. Strain the broth and store, covered, in the refrigerator for 3 days or freeze for later use. Remove any fat from the surface of the broth before using.
- Add to the chicken and mix gently until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.