Italian Style Cauliflower
Cauliflower is a member of the cruciferous family of vegetables. This family includes cabbage, broccoli, garden cress, bok choy, brussels sprouts and similar green leaf vegetables.
This is one vegetable that deserves a regular rotation in your diet. It contains an impressive array of nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other phytochemicals. According to the research I have done, cauliflower helps to fight cancer, boost heart and brain health, has an anti-inflammatory property, aids in digestion, and helps the body to detox.
Lighten It Up
Adding to cauliflower’s appeal is it’s extreme versatility. You can eat it raw, add it to salads, or use it in your cooking. Cauliflower can even be seasoned and mashed for a healthier version of “mashed potatoes” or using a food processor or blender you can make “rice”. Steamed and add to dishes that normally call for rice.
To follow is my family’s favorite cauliflower dish. I have lightened it up over the years, replacing pancetta or bacon with Canadian bacon. This does not take away the wonderful flavor and reduces the saturated fat and calorie count.
Eat This with That
This dish goes great with most any meat or pasta dish. For example, I serve it with Sunday Sauce & Meatballs, and Chicken Burgers with Broccoli Rabe & Sun-dried Tomatoes.
If a no carb meal is what your looking for try this dish with my Parmesan Chicken with Fennel-Arugula Salad instead of the Whole Wheat Pasta
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 teaspoons of minced or pressed garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (opitonal)
- 2 Heads of White Cauliflower, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup of Italian bread crumbs
- 6 slices of Canadian bacon, diced
- Grated pecorino or Parmigiano cheese (as desired)
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes. Saute' the garlic for 1 minute. Add the Canadian bacon and brown slightely.
- Add the cauliflower to the pan and cook until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add 3-5 tablespoons of water to help glaze the pan. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top and gently toss the cauliflower.
- Serve hot with Parigiano cheese.