Homemade Olive Oil Mayo
This homemade olive oil Mayo is lemony, light, silky and just wonderful for so many purposes. You can use it on grilled meat as a condiment, make luxurious and creamy salad dressings, or use to make tuna, chicken or, potato salad and the like.
But not only is this mayo great tasting, it is also heart healthy! You can have your mayo and eat it too! Olive oil is “liquid gold.” The studies that I have read, show that there are great benefits to using extra-virgin olive oil, daily, in our diet. Extra-virgin olive oil has been shown to help prevent heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, and even reduces the risk of death. It is good for our heart, brain, and gut! Just 1 to 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil per day has significant anti-inflammatory effects as well as serving as a great antioxidant.
You can use a light tasting olive oil instead of extra-virgin. This is according to the taste you prefer. I have tried and loved both. The health benefits would come via the extra-virgin olive oil version. If you do not like the heavier taste of the extra-virgin olive oil, you can easily add ingredients to make tasty dressings. For example my Spicy Ranch Dressing would be perfect for this version. So, don’t be afraid to experiment!
I also like adding cider vinegar, white wine, or champagne vinegar, instead of or to accompany the lemon juice. If you do use vinegar as a substitute for the lemon juice, may sure you use only the amount called for in the recipe. If you are using vinegar and lemon juice, use 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of the vinegar of your choosing.
Other additives you may like are adding white pepper, or using Dijon mustard instead of dry mustard. Adjust the amounts according to your taste. Experiment and have fun!
Make This With That
A wonderful way to use this great omega 3 rich mayo is with different dressings. Creamy store bought dressings are loaded with unhealthy fats, sugar and too many ingredients to mention here. Once you have tried these different dressings and different versions of mayo, it will be close to impossible for you to turn back.
Any one of the following dressings can be used in a number of ways. Other than using these mouth-watering dressings on your favorite salad, you can drizzle them over a juicy grilled burger, steak, or chicken. You can use them for dips to accompany your favorite sliced and diced veggies. You can stir them into tuna, eggs, or seafood to make a wonderful salad.
Creamy Italian Dressing
Sweet Mustard Dressing
Prep Time: 05 mins
Cook Time: N/
Yields: 1 1/2 Cups
1 Large omega-3 egg
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups extra virgin olive oil (if a lighter taste is what you are looking for, use light-tasting olive oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (dijon mustard will work as well)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Allow the egg and lemon juice to come to room temperature, at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. (quick method that works just as well... place unbroken eggs into hot tap water for about 15 minutes)
- In a blender or food processor or using a immersion blender, break the egg and add the lemon juice.
- Add the mustard, salt, and 1/4 cup oil to the canister. Blend on medium util the ingredients are combined.
- Incorporate the remaining 1 cup oil by pouring very, very slowly. You want the skinniest drizzled you can manage; this takes about 2-3 minutes.
- When all the oil is incorporated, transfer the mayo to a container with a lid.