Oven Roasted Whole Cauliflower
Whole roasted cauliflower is EXTREMELY low maintenance. The cauliflower itself really doesn’t require much preparation at all and once it’s in the oven, it won’t really need you to attend to it much, except maybe to check for doneness. Cauliflower cooked this way becomes so super moist and tender and really tasty and so delicious. Here I added garlic and cayenne pepper, however, there are a number of different herbs and spices you can add. Try a few different ones to see which you prefer.
Cauliflower is an excellent source of vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, pantothenic acid, and vitamin B6. It is a very good source of choline, dietary fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, manganese, phosphorus, and biotin.
Eat This With That
This versatile side dish goes with many main course dishes. I like serving it with Herbed Baked Whole Chicken or Roasted Chicken Legs with Lemon Garlic Broccolini. As well, this side dish goes well with most fish dishes such as Iron Skillet Creole Red Snapper and is a great accompaniment to any red meat or pork dishes. Try this easy cauliflower dish as a low-carb alternative to potatoes or rice with Home-Style Meat Loaf and/or Greek Pork Tenderloin.
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 60 mins
Yields: 6-8 Servings
- 1 whole cauliflower head (about 2 pounds)
- 1/2 or more of Extra Virgin Olive oil and/or Ghee
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat ovn to 400 degrees. Wash and trim leaves from cauliflower. Pour about the olive oil into a bowl. Minced the garlic and place in the oil. Allow the garlic and oil in infuse for about 5 minutes.
- Place the cauliflower upside down in a baking dish. I use an emerald iron skillet or regular iron skillet. Drizzle half of the infused oil over the head. Turn right side up and sizzle the remaining oil on top.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and the cayenne pepper. Cover with a lid or foil. Put the skillet on the middle rack in the oven. Cook for 30 minutes, covered.
- Remove the lid or foil and Bake for an additional hour. Once the cauliflower is golden brown on the outside and tender on the inside, take it out of the oven. A knife should slide in and out without any resistance.