Savory Chocolate Chili
This is a great combination of spicy and savory. It’s flavors are rich, mellow, and deep. I make my own Chili Powder in order to cut out additional salt and preservatives. It’s so simple and easy.
Eat This With That
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 2 Hours
Yields: 6-8 Servings
- 2 Tablespoon coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil (or a combination of the two)
- 2 medium onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 coves garlic, minced (about 4 teaspoons)
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 4-5 Tablespoons of Chili powder (see link above)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-6oz can tomato paste
- 1-14.5 oz fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup of water
- Heat a large, deep pot over medium-high heat, then add the oil. When heated, add onions, stir with a wooden spoon and cook until they're translucent, about 6-7 minutes. Add garlic stir for about 30 seconds, crumble the ground meat into the pan with your hands, mixing with the wooden spoon to combine. Continue to cook the meat, stirring often, until it's no longer pink.
- Add chili powder, unsweetened cocoa, allspice and salt to the pot, stirring vigorously. Add tomato paste and stir until combined.
- Add the tomatoes with their juices, beef broth, and water to the pot. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to the chili until it is at a gentle simmer. Simmer uncovered for at least 2 hours.
Try a combo of meats by mixing ground beef with ground turkey, ports, or bison. Make a double batch and freeze half so you have it on hand. Top with sliced olives, diced onions, and/or avocado slices. You can serve over a salad over place spinach on the bottom.
You May Also Like
GRASS-FED BEEF BLUE CHEESE SLIDERS with MUSHROOMS & ONIONS! These sliders are so great on a ...
Carne asada is a Latin American dish of grilled and sliced beef, usually skirt, flank or flap ...
Even with Spring in full swing here in Florida, we had a slight cool front come through. This ...
Grass-fed beef generally comes from cattle that eat only grass and other foraged foods throughout ...
This was one of my mother's go-to meals and for good reason. It's a quick, simple, filling and a ...
This is one of my favorite salads and my favorite method to cook a steak! The favors of the ...
Crisp lettuce leaves spread with creamy guacamole, topped with spicy beef, cool cabbage, fresh ...
Sauce and meatballs is the most requested dish I make. It's often requested for special family ...