Seared Chicken Breast with Mushrooms, Rosemary, & Thyme
Long celebrated as a superfood source of powerful nutrients, fresh mushrooms are a healthy addition to your plate. Mushrooms provide many of the same nutritional benefits as vegetables, as well as attributes commonly found in meat, beans, and grains.
Mushrooms are the leading source of the antioxidant nutrient selenium in the produce aisle. Antioxidants, like selenium, protect body cells from damage that might lead to chronic diseases and help to strengthen the immune system, as well. In addition, mushrooms provide ergothioneine, a naturally occurring antioxidant that may help protect the body’s cells.
Mushrooms are the only source of vitamin D in the produce aisle and one of the few non-fortified food sources.
What is Vitamin D? Vitamin D helps build and maintain strong bones by helping the body absorb calcium. Vitamin D is available via diet, supplements, and sunlight, which is why it is also referred to as the “sunshine vitamin.”
Eat This with That
This is such a simple yet hearty and filling chicken dish. The longer you are able to marinade the chicken, the more intense the flavors. This can be served over white rice, pasta, or for a low-carb dinner, it can be served with a simple salad, and this delicious side dish of Whole Roasted Dijon Cauliflower.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Yields: 4-6 Servings
- Note: Mix the following and add chicken to a resealable container and place in the refrigerator. Chicken will need to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, and overnight is best.
- 2 Large boneless, skinless chicken breast (each breast cut into 3 sections and pounded slightly to thin them out)
- 1 Tbsp fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh Sage Leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 Lbs Shiitake mushrooms, whole or sliced (your preference)
- 1 Tbsp butter or Ghee
- Add Olive oil to a pan and sear chicken over medium high heat until slightly browned on one side, turn and repeat. Cook until done. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add the butter to the skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook until slightly wilted, about 4-5 minutes. Deglazed the pan with broth, water or wine. Add the chicken back to the pan and heat through.
- Serve immediately.