Ten Reasons Why Cast-Iron is a Must
There are many reasons I use cast iron for a lot of my cooking needs. To follow are my top ten!
1. Non-stick and aluminum cookware can be hazardous to your health. Replace these items cast iron in order to avoid the toxic fumes that accompany most non-stick cookware and to avoid the aluminum in other cookware.
2. Because cast iron can withstand high heat they are great for using on top of the stove ,as well as, in the oven. I use mine cast iron skillets to make cornbread.
3. As long as your cast iron is well taken care of, It is nonstick. (See How to Care for Cast Iron).
4. Cast iron is easy to clean up. Not only does food easily lift off from cast iron cookware. (See How to Care for Cast Iron)
5. There are health benefits!! You can actually boost your iron intake from eating food cooked in cast iron cookware. This vital mineral is crucial for maintaining energy levels, and it helps strengthen immune systems.
6. It is inexpensive and lasts for a very long time, if proper care is taken. A 12-inch skillet costs less than $30, where as a stainless steel pan of the same size can run upwards of a $100.
7. Food cooks beautifully. Using a cast iron skillet you can create restaurant-quality food with a homemade flair. They a create golden brown, crispy outside to any food that needs browning.
8. Cast iron is sturdy and wears well. Since it does not scratch, there is no need to use plastic utensils, and there is no fear of using your silverware to stir or scoop. It lasts for so long that many people still use cast iron cookware inherited from their parents and grandparents.
9. In an emergency, cast iron cookware can be used over any heat source. As such, many disaster planning lists include cast iron as the survival cookware of choice.
10. It has been used for thousands of years. Natural News readers already understand how new technologies are often the least healthy, while those used by earlier generations are often more beneficial and more in line with how we are designed. Our cookware choice is no exception.