Tuscan Peasant Soup
This is a perfect soup for a cold Fall day and is great to make in bulk and freeze. Use your favorite fall vegetables or whatever you have on hand. Also, use a different combination of beans to suit your taste.
Soup doesn’t just taste great and is very filling, it is just plain great for you!
Cabbage is also a very good source of manganese, dietary fiber, potassium, vitamin B1, folate and copper. Additionally, cabbage is a good source of choline, phosphorus, vitamin B2, magnesium, calcium, selenium, iron, pantothenic acid, protein and niacin.
Kale is low in calorie, high in fiber and has zero fat. One cup of kale has only 36 calories, 5 grams of fiber and 0 grams of fat. It is great for aiding in digestion and elimination with its great fiber content. It’s also filled with so many nutrients, vitamins, folate and magnesium.
Beans are a super healthy, super versatile and super affordable food. Beans are high in antioxidants, fiber, protein, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper and zinc. Eating beans regularly may decrease the risk of diabetes, heart disease, colorectal cancer, and helps with weight management.
Eat up and Enjoy!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 60-90 mins
Yields: 10-12 Servings
- 1/2 cup Cranberry Beans or Pinto Beans
- 1/2 cup White Beans
- 1/2 cup Chickpeas
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 quart water
- Herb bundle: 2 sprigs rosemary, 1 sprig sage, a few sprigs of thyme, 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed, cored, quartered, and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 bunch Tuscan Kale, stemmed and chopped
- Rind from a small wedge of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling when serving
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated, for serving
- Soak beans overnight. The next day, rinse and dry the beans and add to soup pot with the stock, water, herb bundle, carrot, celery, onion, fennel, garlic, cabbage, kale, parmigiana rind, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil and simmer one and a half hours or until beans are tender and the soup is tick and the flavors are combined.
- To serve, place in a soup bowl. Top with drizzle of olive oil, chopped onions if you desire, and grated Parmigiana-Reggiano.